Monday, November 25, 2013

Day 25: Family Home Evening

I've mentioned before that we do a family night every Monday after dinner and we call it Family Home Evening. We set that time aside as a special, "family only" time. We don't watch tv, worry about dishes or anything else during that time. We spend it together as a family. We talk about a variety of topics like kindness, faith, sharing, prayer, gratitude, etc. Tonight, we talked about gratitude. I made a tree cutout and lots of little leaves.
As part of our evening, we took turns writing things we are thankful for on the leaves and put them on our tree.
This is hanging up in our kitchen to remind us of the things we're grateful for.

Next we put the ornaments up on the Christmas tree. When we put the tree up a few nights ago, we only got around to putting up lights.

The boys careful unwrapped all my snowmen ornaments.

Mckay helped them place the ornaments.

I remember during Christmases when I was a kid, my mom always put up this homemade Santa ornament that my brother made. It was far from perfect looking and we always wondered why Mom wanted this ornament on the tree among the other beautiful ones. Now I know why she did it. 
Dallin made this Santa ornament last year in preschool. I love it. I think I'll be putting it on our tree for many years.

I'm thankful for Family Home Evening. We get so busy and wrapped up in all the things we have to do. I'm glad that we can take some time each week to be together as a family, to spend some time teaching our children and enjoy being with them.

2 comments:

California Crapos said...

I'm excited for Scott to be old enough to really participate during FHE. Last night was the first time he actually sat still and listened the whole time and it was way more enjoyable for us. Keep posting your activity ideas so we can copy them :)

Katie said...

We are totally going to do that thankful tree tomorrow as part of our thanksgiving festivities. Cute idea!