Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Day 13: books

We really love books in our house. Don't believe me?
Yes, that is a shopping cart full of books. No, I did not stage the picture. This actually happened today.

Wednesday is our library day. I think the boys would go to the library daily if I let them. Connor loves the shelf of Thomas the Tank Engine books. Dallin looks at all the pop-up books. They love story time with the librarians. We're there so often that the librarians know us and recognize us. Actually, I doubt that they could pick me out of a line up, but they sure do know Dallin and Connor.

Having been a school teacher in my pre-children life, I love children's book and I've read a lot of them. We're building quite a book collection of our own at home, but I'm so glad that we have access to the library and that we can choose any book to bring home. It's really fun for me to share some of my favorite books with the boys. And it's been fun to discover new favorite books together as the boys' interests develop. I had no idea there were so many well-written/illustrated books about construction vehicles. Thank you Connor!

I'm thankful that I get to sit down with my boys every day and read to them. Sometimes bedtime can get a little hectic trying to wrangle everyone into pajamas, but I love sitting in the rocking chair with both boys on my lap right before bed and reading them a few books while they listen intently. It makes me happy to hear Dallin ask if he can read a book in bed. We've had to stop letting him do that though because he falls asleep on the book and drool-destroys it.

Occasionally, I get the chance to read books on my own, ones without pictures! I love finding a good book and getting totally wrapped up in another world. I recently finished Ender's Game for the first time, and I'm excited to see how the movie compares. I'm grateful for Mckay's obsession love for books. He encourages me to read books I wouldn't have chosen myself but that I end up enjoying. I love reading books out loud on roadtrips. I like reading books that make me think.

In summary: books are pretty awesome.

No comments: