Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 18: Mckay

My post the other day about marriage hardly scraped the surface of how grateful I am for Mckay, so I thought I should devote a whole post just to him. He does soooooo much more than turning pages.
We've been married for 5 years, but I've known Mckay for 9 years. Even as a young 17 year old college freshman, I was impressed by what an outstanding person Mckay was. Sure, he did his fair share of playing Halo all night and sleeping through a class, but he was different from the other boys at college. He had his head on straight and knew what he wanted from life. Education was (and still is) a big priority for him. At the same time, family is a bigger priority, and I'm glad we have that in common. 

Mckay is a great teacher. He knows just what to say to describe the most complex processes in terms that anyone can understand. His graduate studies in chemical engineering are obviously out of the realm of what I learned in college, but when he explains his research to me, it makes sense (for the most part). He tutors in math and has helped hundreds of people understand it better. When I took Calculus in college, Mckay was a big help to me when I was stuck on a homework problem. He has a way with words. In fact, Mckay proposed to me by writing a book for me.

Not only does he love to learn, but he encourages learning in others and makes it fun. At any time he's always reading at least one book among a variety of topics, though classic literature is his favorite. I can already see our sons following their Dad's example because they love books too. Mckay is a life-long learner. As an old man, he will still be learning new things and teaching them to me.

Mckay is a great Dad. He can talk our kids into doing almost anything. When I say something, the kids start to whine and cry, but when Mckay says it, they listen and hop right to it. He can calm the kids down better than I can. He knows just what to say to comfort them. At church on Sundays, I play the organ so Mckay spends more than half the meeting taking care of the kids by himself. And the kids behave! They are relatively reverent and quiet. And it's not that we were blessed with quiet, angel children. They've certainly had outbursts at times, but Mckay has taught them how to sit reverently and they do a pretty good job at it. I love looking down from the organ and seeing Mckay holding both boys on his lap while they fold their arms for prayer.

I've had the same long, straight hairstyle for 12 years. Mckay is not afraid to try out new hairstyles...
 

...or facial hair styles.
He knows how to have fun.

Mckay is really good at landscaping/yard work. Everything he does turns out to look amazing. This summer, he put up a fence in our back yard, and put in a brick paver patio in our front yard. (I promise I'll post pictures of those sometime...) Yes, Mckay did it, we didn't pay someone else to do it. (I put a lot of work into these projects too, but this post isn't about tooting my own horn.) I wanted to start a garden this year. My thought was to just dig holes in the ground and plant seeds, but Mckay is the one who built planter boxes for my garden and then built a retaining wall around it. He doesn't do projects halfway, he goes all out. Even if he has to get dirty in the process.

I don't know where I would be without Mckay. I doubt that I'd be in Indiana and I am loving it here. I am so thankful for Mckay. I'm thankful for the great example he is to our children, our extended family and the youth in our community. I'm glad that I get to spend the rest of forever with him.

No comments: