Saturday, September 18, 2010

Smothered Burritos

We love Mexican food. But there are only so many ways you can combine the basic ingredients (beans, cheese, meat, tortillas, etc.) into something tasty. I feel like the standard burritos, tacos and taco salad are getting old. Mckay suggested a brilliant idea he got from his brother-in-law's family that gave the burrito a new spin.

Smothered Burritos.
My new love.

These things are amazing. It's like a mix between a burrito and an enchilada. Like an enchilada style Cafe Rio burrito, but better.
There's not really a recipe for them, you just throw stuff in, but I'll tell you how we made them.

Smothered Burritos
refried beans
green chiles
mexican cheese blend (like monterey jack and cheddar)
A can of green chile enchilada sauce
tortillas

Put heated refried beans, green chiles and cheese on a tortilla. You could add more things like meat and rice, but the key is to keep it simple. Roll it up and put in a lightly greased baking dish. Make as many burritos as you need. Cover the burritos with canned green chile enchilada sauce (or homemade if you know how to make it), and top with cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

They're really simple but amazingly delicious. We served them with a side of cilantro lime rice. (I know the Crapos reading this will cringe at the thought of cilantro, but it's so yummy.) I fried some leftover rice in a pan with some oil, lime juice, chopped cilantro, a few sprinkles of cumin, and salt and pepper. Another wonderful side that completes the dish is homemade guacamole. My mouth is watering as I'm typing this, and I just barely ate one. We even had it 2 nights in a row. And I'll probably eat the leftovers tomorrow. This is going to become a new favorite dish.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I tired making the cilantro lime rice but I think the recipe I used wasn't right cause it was not good and did not look as yummy as yours. I'm making these with the cafe rio pork Yummm!

Karen C. said...

Those burritos are a thing of beauty. I'm sure they taste good too, but I always consider it a particular accomplishment when I can make food that is beautiful as well as tasty!

Kathryn Pepper said...

YUM!! I'm going to try these this week!

John said...

Wow, those look too delicious! Now I must wipe off my keyboard. I definitely want to try those.