Monday, September 27, 2010

Risotto Sunday

We went to church today. We've been having trouble getting there on time, especially since it's 20 minutes away, but today we made it! We're making more friends and getting to know more people.
I got a drink at the drinking fountain and Dallin looked really interested, so Mckay bent him over to the water. We've done this before months ago, and Dallin would just let the water flow on his lips or into his open mouth, but he didn't quite know how to drink it. Today, he knew exactly what to do! He was slurping up little bits of water and was actually swallowing them! Then he would get another gulp. It was so cute!
I feel like he's being making little steps of progress with the development of his mouth and such. The next step is eating solid foods, right.....?

For dinner I tried a new recipe: Dirty Risotto.
When my parents were cleaning out the house getting ready to move last month, they let us take anything we wanted out of the food pantry. We got a lot of good stuff, but one of my favorite finds was some arborio rice for making risotto. I'd never made a risotto before and I figured I should learn how. It was pretty easy. It takes a little bit of time and attention to prepare, but Dallin was a good boy and he sat watching me the whole time so I could concentrate on cooking. This risotto has spicy italian sausage, pancetta (or bacon if you're cheap like me and already have bacon in the house), bell peppers, onions, mushrooms (we omitted those), and some parmesan cheese. It was delicious! It has a lot of flavor to it because you cook the rice in chicken broth, not plain water. I might recommend using low sodium chicken broth. I used regular broth and the risotto tasted fine, but it did have a lot of salt.
I served the risotto with some ceasar salad and garlic bread. I've been really into caesar salad lately and it's usually the highlight of a meal for me. But when it was paired with this risotto, I almost didn't want to eat the salad because that would take up space in my stomach where I could be putting risotto. In the end, I ate too much of both and felt very full.
It was a good Sunday.

3 comments:

Katie said...

We've been really into ceasar salad too lately. That risotto looks really good. I might have to try that out.

John said...

The recipe looks delicious. I think I might try it out. Good job Dallin for drinking from the fountain!

Julie Knight said...

I've also wanted to try making risotto. When I watch Hell's Kitchen with Gorden Ramsey, he always yells at the person making the risotto and so i've been terrified to try it for myself. You've inspired me, maybe now I'll give it a go.