Friday, September 17, 2010

The Illusionist

I'm really good at falling asleep during movies. I think I get it from my mom. She's good at it too. It doesn't even matter if it's a really good movie that I've been dying to see. Sometimes I just can't keep my eyes open. On the flipside, I've stayed wide awake for some really dumb movies I wish I had slept through.

This movie, "The Illusionist" came out in 2006, around the same time as another movie, "The Prestige." They are somewhat similar; both about magicians, same time period. I've heard most people say they like one or the other, and the one they liked better was usually the one they saw first. I saw the Prestige first and I absolutely loved it. One of my favorite movies. I've tried many times to see the Illusionist but I haven't yet succeeded in seeing it all the way through. (Remember how I sleep through movies?)

I saw it once (maybe even twice?) in the dollar theater. I fell asleep about 30 minutes in. I've watched it with friends a few times. I always fall asleep at the same place. I've made 6 or 7 good attempts to watch this movie, but have still never seen the whole thing.

Last week, I found it at the local library. YES! I was so excited to finally be able to watch it. One night we tried to watch it and we both fell asleep. AAAGHHHH!! It was due back at the library before we got another chance to watch it in its entirety.

I'm doomed to never see this movie. It's not that I'm DYING to see it. But it looks like a good movie and it seems like I would really like it. Plus, I want to compare it to the Prestige and see how it holds up. Maybe my mind already knows that The Prestige is far superior to The Illusionist (my mind having heard the movie several time while I slept), and it just wants to save me the heartbreak.

I've had a desire to see this movie for 4 years. Call it my BHAG, if you will.
I will watch this entire movie someday.

4 comments:

Katie said...

You know, I think I have seen this whole movie, but I don't really remember it. Must not have been that good. I did see the Prestige first though. Great movie. :)

Karen C. said...

I saw this movie and I want you to know that I made it all the way through without falling asleep--so TAKE THAT! I actually rather enjoyed it. I think you will too... if you ever manage to keep your eyes open.

Alan C said...

I saw the Illusionist before seeing the Prestige and as you suggested, I liked the Illusionist better. The problem I had with the Prestige is that I listened to the audio book before watching the movie and I kept noticing the parts that were missing from the movie.
The illusionist has a much happier ending.

John said...

I saw the Illusionist and thought it was pretty good. I saw the Prestige first and listened to the audiobook second. The movie has some major differences from the book. I saw the Prestige first and it was definitely more memorable for me.