Monday, September 13, 2010

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

For dinner tonight, I made homemade chicken nuggets. I never really thought of chicken nuggets as something that could be made from scratch at home, but I saw the recipe on cheekykitchen.com and I was intrigued, so I tried it.
(Picture courtesy of cheekykitchen.com. Mine didn't turn out nearly this pretty. Nor are my photography skills this good.)

The thing I love about this recipe is that it is half ground chicken, half mixed veggies. I have a hard time getting Mckay to eat a lot of vegetables, so I loved the thought of sneaking them in. The recipe uses a bag of frozen California mixed vegetables, which is usually carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower, the 3 vegetables he dislikes most. I don't have a star shaped cookie cutter, so I cut my nuggets in a diamond shape. They were really delicious. Mckay loved them, and it wasn't until after dinner that I told him about the vegetables in them. (The beauty of him being colorblind is that he didn't notice the suspicious orange and green flecks of color in the nuggets.) He was shocked that I hid vegetables in his chicken. I think he was even more shocked that he didn't notice and they tasted delicious.

All in all, the recipe was a success. It was quick and easy, pretty healthy, and I knew exactly what was in my chicken nuggets. No mystery meat. I'll definitely be making them again.

5 comments:

Crapos said...

Yay Sheri! You must be psychic because just this week I've been trying to figure out how to get Madoc to eat vegetables. Do you think you could make these and freeze them?

John said...

That's so cool. I never thought about making my own chicken nuggets either. That sounds pretty tasty. Kudos on sneaking vegetables into Mckay's diet.

Katie said...

I saw these on that blog and I've been wanting to make them ever since. I love that we have to sneak veggies to our husbands. Lucas will chow down on them too but I'm totally going to make these for Ryan.

Julie Knight said...

Sheri I love that you made these! I am absolutely enthralled with the cheeky kitchen blog. It always has the greatest food ideas. I really wanted to try making this and now with your success I definitely will. Yay for chicken nuggets with hidden veggies inside.

Karen C. said...

Very tricky hiding veggies in chicken nuggets. The things we do to get husbands to eat healthy...