Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pinterest fail


I've seen a lot of cool crafts and recipes on Pinterest and blogs that I've been wanting to try. I thought this heart would make a cute Valentine's decoration.
It's probably made out of paper, but my super creative mind thought it would be fun to make it out of toilet paper tube pieces. I spent 3 days during nap time cutting, painting and gluing to make my heart, but it turned out looking.... weird.
It's not really in a heart shape. It looks more like an odd wreath. It seems like cardboard tubes are not the ideal medium for making this.

(The thing that makes me really sad is that this project used 10 toilet paper tubes. That seriously depleted my tube collection!)

Determined not to let it get me down, I decided I'd try another Pinterest find: baked doughnuts. They look so delicious in the picture, just like a fresh bakery doughnut. "I'm sure I can pull this one off," I thought to myself. "I'm so good at following a recipe."

Dallin helped me to make sure I did everything right.
And here is the finished product:
I'm not sure who this recipe think's he is, but this was a recipe for bagels. Sugar glazed bagels.
The bread was very good. It was like a sweet roll with icing, or a cinnamon roll with out the cinnamon. Very tasty, but they're chewy and dense and nothing like a doughnut. Dallin really likes them though.

Doughnuts? no.
Delicious? Yes.

5 comments:

Karen C. said...

All you have to do is take a picture of Dallin with the toilet paper tube wreath. Dallin makes everything look cute. I think your Valentine heart project looks great. You are way too much of a perfectionist. The doughnuts look yummy too!

Alan C said...

I always love seeing pictures of Dallin. The recipe book Julie gave me says to use brioche dough to make doughnuts. It calls for frying them in oil the traditional way, but since there is a lot of butter in the dough, it might be pretty good baked as well.

Katie said...

Haha, I'm sad your things did not turn out, but it was fun to read about. I have been intruiged by the baked doughnut recipes, but I guess maybe they are no good. I bet you could just do a plain wreath with the heart things. It would probably hold that shape a little better.

neil said...

A flag went up in my head the moment I saw "They only have 1 T. butter for a batch of (15) glazed donuts!" Um, less butter is not something to be proud of. That's something you hang your head in shame about and post in fine print with an asterisk... and an apology... to the world... with a promise to use more next time. There should be 1 T. minimum per doughnut! Plus more for the frosting.

Kathryn Pepper said...

My friend did that recipe, too! She told me they turned into bagels. Someone really needs to tell that person that recipe doesn't work so well. And I like your Valentine craft!!