Sunday, January 1, 2012

Our Christmas Festivities

Our Christmas this year was great. We decided to stay in Indiana for Christmas. It felt a little weird not rushing off to travel right after finals, but we had fun with just our little family.
The day before Christmas Eve (A.K.A. Christmas Adam...), we threw a Christmas Party at our house. We figured that since quite a few of our friends here were in a similar situation of not traveling for Christmas, we thought we should all get together. I made creamy chicken taquitos, deviled eggs, ham and cheese croissant rolls, fudge, banana bread, and mini pecan tarts. The food was so good. All the kids went into Dallin's room to play while the adults ate and talked. It was really fun.
On Christmas Eve, we went caroling at a nursing home with friends. In the evening, we relaxed at home. We ate more snack-y type food for dinner. Dallin was a fan of the taquitos.
When it got dark, we went for a drive around town to look at Christmas lights. We drove around for over an hour and I was kind of disappointed at the lack of decorated houses. There would be a few houses here and there with lights up, but most were dark and very few people went all out with decorating. We were ready to give up and started to head home, but decided to turn into one more neighborhood. I'm glad we did because it was one of the most beautiful light displays I've even seen. The streets were lined with luminaries and most of the houses had lights as well. I hope they do it every year because this will definitely become part of our Christmas festivities while we live here.

On Christmas morning, we opened our stockings.
I made Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast.
I referred to this batch as "Grinch" cinnamon rolls. There was an error with the yeast while making the dough and after letting the rolls sit out to rise for 3 hours, they hadn't grown at all. I put them in the oven hoping something would happen, and those small Grinchy rolls grew 3 sizes that day! It was a Christmas miracle!

We went to church and then came home to open presents.
But first, we changed back into our pajamas.
Somehow, it just doesn't seem right to open presents if you're not wearing pajamas.

Dallin was very spoiled this year. He's at an age where it's very easy to buy gifts for him, so he got a lot of stuff.
One of his favorite presents was a trampoline. Not only is it so much fun to jump on, but it's good for him to practice jumping for physical therapy.


I got a whoopee cushion in my stocking (Thank you, Santa Mckay.) Dallin thought it was so funny. He was bringing it to us all day long so we could blow it up for him to sit on.

Mckay got me the best present: a glider rocking chair.
I've wanted one for a long time, but I thought it would be a while before we had one. This definitely was not on my Christmas list, but I love it.

We made a Gingerbread house.
We bought a kit from Target, and I think it turned out well.

I like the gingerbread man I put on the back.

I made a delicious traditional Ham dinner.

For the next week, we pretty much chilled at home, playing with our Christmas toys.
After getting Dallin dressed one day and seeing he looked like a construction worker with his flannel shirt and carpenter jeans, I thought it was a perfect time to play with his new tool set.
We all caught up on sleep, especially Connor.
Mckay got a puzzle (an Easton Christmas tradition) that we've been working pretty hard on.
It'll be a tricky puzzle, but we like a challenge.

5 comments:

Alan C said...

I love the photos of Dallin with the tools and goggles. I also like the videos of the trampoline and whoopee cushion. I'm glad you had and enjoyable Christmas. We miss you.

Julie Knight said...

First of all your boys are adorable! Second of all that picture of Dallin with the drill is my absolute favorite. Such a happy boy! That picture makes me smile. Looks like your Christmas was a Merry one. We love you guys!

Katie said...

Very jealous of your glider! Good job Mckay. And I agree with Julie, that construction worker Dallin is my favorite. It looks like you guys had a good Christmas.

Austin said...

agreed, you've got to be in your PJs to open christmas presents. everyone i talked to did the same thing!

Karen C. said...

So many wonderful pictures in this post! I can't possibly comment on all my favorites. I love your story about the grinchy cinnamon rolls. They looked delightful and tasty. I love the videos of Dallin on the trampoline and with the whoopee cushion. Your glider looks fantastic--good job, Mckay! Dallin looks super cute with the flannel shirt and goggles. And Connor looks so cute all curled up and sleeping. Looks like a wonderful Christmas--and kudos for changing into your jammies.