Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Big 25

My birthday was this last week. I'm 25 years old now. That's halfway to 50! That a quarter of the way to 100! I don't feel older so much as I do wiser. 24 is still basically 20, and I was still just a young kid. But now I'm 25. I have a house and 2 kids. I feel so grown up.

My birthday was a quiet day, but after the busy holidays, it was nice to have a quiet day. I worked hard cleaning the day before so I could just enjoy the day. A friend of mine came over in the morning to visit. Her son and Dallin love playing together and Dallin was happy to show off his new Christmas toys. We had a hard time enforcing the "one kid on the trampoline at a time" rule.

I got a birthday package in the mail. Dallin was so excited to find out what was in it, so he tried to open it himself...
...using a Christmas ornament.

I got to try out a few new recipes for my birthday, which is always really fun for me. For dinner, we had Southwest Egg Rolls with Avocado dipping sauce.
(I kind of mixed and matched parts from both recipes, but the Egg Roll recipe was mostly here and dipping sauce here.)

Then it was time for cake.
Dallin thought the candles were the coolest thing ever.
(Cake recipe here)

I got some good presents. I got some movies, including Lord of the Rings: Two Towers Extended edition on DVD. We already have the Return of the King Extended, and we're working our way backwards through the trilogy, apparently. I also got a gift card to Jo-Anns so I can buy and make craft-y things, and a Kindle! I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to use it, (I was searching all through the box it came in for an instruction manual, then I realized, "Duh! It's an eReader. The instruction manual will be on the device itself." Silly me.) but I'm pretty excited about it.

Connor and Dallin gave me the best kinds of presents. They were good, well-behaved boys and Connor took really good naps all day. He also gave me some really good smiles.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Happy Birthday. That dinner looks really good and your cake looks beautiful! Those are some fun presents.

Alan C said...

I'm glad you had a happy birthday. Connor looks like a happy chubby baby. He must have a an amazing mother.

Karen C. said...

Connor has certainly grown since the last time I saw him. I love his chubbly cheeks. Your southwestern egg rolls look amazing and chocolate cake always sounds good. I love the picture of Dallin smiling while he looks at the candles. Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had a good day.

Rebecca said...

When John came home from a business trip once I asked if he'd had dinner at the airport and he said he had some southwest egg rolls. I said I thought he'd flown Alaskan. Hahaha. I didn't know what they were before, but yours look delicious! I'm glad you had a happy birthday!

John said...

I love southwestern egg rolls. Someday I might try alaskan ones.