Monday, January 16, 2012

Diaper Baby

I went to a baby shower for a friend last weekend. I decided my gift would be diapers. (Having two kids in diapers myself, I definitely appreciate the value of them.) But part of the fun of going to a baby shower is to "ooh" and "ahh" over all the gifts of cute baby clothes. No one thinks a pack of diapers is very cute. I've seen the classic diaper cake as a way to dress up a diaper gift, but that's been done many times. While searching for ideas, I found this image and I decided I would make a baby out of diapers.

Presenting my Diaper Baby.
I didn't find any instructions on how to make one so I figured out my own way to do it. Lucky for you, I'm posting the instructions so you can make your own!
You will need a pack of diapers, a baby blanket, a pacifier, a baby hat or bows, rubber bands, ribbon, and a cereal box (you'll see...).

First take one diaper and roll it up cinnamon roll style. Secure with a rubber band.
Continue rolling with the next diaper where the last one left off. Secure with another rubber band every 3 diapers or so. Keep going until you get a roll about the size of a baby's head. My "head" used 9 diapers.
Don't for get to secure it all with a rubber band.

Here's where the cereal box comes in. Cut a base for the baby's body from the cardboard of the box. You might need to use 2 boxes.
I used 2 layers of cardboard to make it more sturdy.
(Note: You might want to use something a little sturdier than a cereal box if you have it. The cereal box supports it just enough, but the head is kinda floppy and it was quite a challenge for me to walk into the shower carrying a diaper baby in one arm and my real 2 month old baby in the other.)

Lay the blanket out at an angle so it looks like a diamond.
Fold the top corner down a bit and place your cardboard base on the blanket.

Now lay your baby head on the board, along with the rest of the diaper package. Oh, but first, remove 2 diapers from the package and set aside. We'll use those later.
Dress up your baby's head by putting a pacifier in the center of the roll and some bows on the head. This was for a baby girl, so I used bows, but you could use a hat for a baby boy (or a hat for a girl).
Makes sure the baby is scooted down enough from the top so that you can fold the top part of the blanket down around the head. (I hope that made sense..)

Stuff any extra bows or pacifiers into the open diaper package.
You could even add more goodies like an outfit, socks, lotion or a gift card.

Now you fold the blanket up around the head (to help hold the head in place) and swaddle the blanket like you normally would.
If you don't know how to swaddle a baby, google it.

Grab those 2 diapers you set aside and roll each one up individually, securing with a rubber band.
Put them inside the blanket next to the head so they look like arms.

Now tie a ribbon around the"waist" to keep the blanket in place. And because ribbons make things cuter.
And there you have it! Your very own diaper baby. Everyone at the shower got a big kick out of this. It's a great way to dress up a practical gift.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Haha. That is amazing! That is such a creative idea.

Karen C. said...

Great idea! It turned out really cute. And what could be better than a baby that always has a dry diaper?

MGEALICK said...

I love that!!!!!!

Angela Baarz said...

That's so cute! Now I need to get invited to a baby shower so I can make one.