Saturday, August 27, 2011

Scary

Dallin spends a good part of his day hanging out by his high chair, pointing and whining for me to put him in it and feed him. (Lest you think a miracle has happened and he's become some crazy eating machine, I must say he's still very picky about what he eats once he gets in the high chair.)

Apparently, I wasn't fast enough in responding to his plea this morning, so he climbed into the high chair by himself!

Why do they even put a foot rest on a high chair?! Don't they know that every child is going to use that as a step to climb to dangerous heights?!
(Also, please ignore the pasta thrown on the floor from last night's dinner.)

As soon as he got himself settled in his seat, he folded his arms.


He knows that we have to pray before we can eat.

Part of me is so proud of him that he figured out how to climb in by himself; that he was able to maneuver his arms and legs and use his muscles to get himself in the seat. That he's trying to be independent and do things on his own rather that always relying on my help. That he is communicating his needs with me by motioning towards the seat. That he's learning and making connections and knows that being in his chair (and saying a prayer) will get him food.

But the other part of me is scared, because my life just got more difficult.



(Sorry for the poor picture quality. These were taken on my phone. We left our camera charger in Colorado and our camera battery has now died. So you get to see mediocre pictures for the next little while.)

3 comments:

Katie said...

HAHAHA! Yay Dallin for climbing. We took that step off of our high chair too. I don't know what they were thinking putting it there. That prayer picture is pretty cute.

Amy Meyer said...

That is so awesome! I love it when kids start to demand their independence. Trust me, having two is not that bad. I was freaked out. Dallin will start to become more independent once number two comes.

Karen C. said...

Cute pictures. I like the one with Dallin standing up in his high chair, and also the praying picture. I think its pretty awesome when a little kid learns to climb. It complicates a mom's life a bit, but it shows remarkable ingenuity and persistence. Hooray for Dallin! He'll be such a good "big brother".