Thursday, August 18, 2011

30 weeks

I am 30 weeks into my pregnancy today! That means only 10 weeks (give or take) left to go!
I am so ready for labor. I've been doing a lot of reading about child birth and I feel very prepared for another natural birth. But I had a realization the other day. All this reading has been getting me pumped up and prepared for labor, but what about after the baby is born? I will have 2 children to take care of! I have no idea how to do that! How do you go grocery shopping with 2 kids? And how will we get out the door in the mornings? It takes so long just to get me and Dallin ready to go places, if I'm getting a baby ready too, we'll never make it anywhere. I guess it's just something that will fall into place and I'll figure it out when he comes. I didn't know how things would go when Dallin was born either, but we seemed to figure things out ok.

Here are some thing you may or may not be wondering about:

Do we have a name picked out for the baby? Nope.
Dallin's name came very easily to us, so we're surprised it's taken us this long, but we still have no idea for a name. We've thrown around a few names, but I guess we'll really have to pick something in the next 10 weeks.

What are the chances that this baby will have Williams Syndrome as well? About 1 in 10,000, so very unlikely. The nature of the syndrome is such that either Mckay or I would have to have WS for our children to "get it" from us. It's not something you can be a carrier for, you either have the gene deletion or you don't. Since, obviously, neither Mckay or I have WS, Dallin's case was a random occurrence (as most cases of WS are). Therefore, our chances are the same as anybody's for having a child with WS: about 1 in 10,000. (And if somehow this child did have WS, we would be so happy to have another beautiful boy to raise.)

Will the baby be early or late? I know it's pretty hard to tell when a baby will be born, but it seems like many women tend to have delivery times similar to their other deliveries, i.e. one woman will have multiple early deliveries and another woman will have mostly late (past due date) deliveries. Since Dallin came at 41 weeks (and only because we made him come), it would make sense that this baby would also come past the due date. EXCEPT..... I have read that babies with WS tend to be born post term. This is not always the case, but I've heard from many parents that their children with WS were born much later than their other children. So Dallin's late delivery might have been the exception, and all my other babies will come early! I know it's ridiculous to speculate and plan on, so I'm preparing myself for another post due date baby, but you never know!

The downside: WS babies tend to have smaller birth weights than their siblings. Dallin was born at a decent 7lbs 2oz. This means that this baby will likely be bigger. If it's only 1 pound bigger, I can handle that. But I'm not super excited if he's a 9 or 10 pounder.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Good Luck on the last 10 weeks!

Austin said...

Yay natural birth!

Good luck choosing a name! :)

Katie said...

You are looking way bigger than your last belly picture. That baby is definitely going to be a 10 pounder. HAHA, just kidding. Take notes on what you do to adjust to having a second baby around the house so that I can ask you later.

Karen C. said...

Your belly is definitely getting bigger, but you are still the cutest thing ever! I'm betting this baby will come early by about four days. I can't wait to meet the little guy, and to find out what you decide to name him. Dallin is gonna make a wonderful big brother.

Alan C said...

You are starting to look a little pregnant. You will do really well as a mom of two.