Monday, March 15, 2010

Pecan Pi

Yesterday was Pi Day so I made a pecan pie to celebrate. I have never made pecan pie before so I wanted to try it. The pie turned out pretty well. I learned 2 things about pecan pie while making this one.
1: Pecan pie is really easy to make. I always had this idea for some reason that it was a difficult pie. I think this was because we always had pecan pie on Thanksgiving, when my dad was making 15 other pies at the same time. So it looked like a long difficult process because he was working on many pies at once. It's actually a very easy pie. You start with a basic crust and then whip up a simple sugary pecan mixture for the filling.
2: The pretty pattern of pecans placed on top of the pie will sink and become covered in goo as the pie bakes and bubbles in the oven. I made a pi symbol out of pecans on top of the pie before baking it. When the pie was finished cooking I removed it from the oven to find that my pi had disappeared into my pie. As a result, the pi you see in the picture was added post baking.

Our dinner also celebrated the irrational number.
Notice the garlic bread? I thought a circle shape would be fitting.

When we tried to explain Pi day to Dallin, he seemed confused.

And when we told him we would be celebrating this day every year, he didn't seem very excited.

Poor Dallin. You'll have to get used to life with nerdy parents.

7 comments:

Alan C said...

I'm so glad you were able to celibrate Pi Day. The pecan pie looks really good, and you are right, it is a pretty easy pie to make. I'm sure Dallin will get used to nerdy things like Pi Day eventually.

neil said...

Super awesome grumple face, Dallin. I gotta throw a nerd flag, though, on the description of pi as an imaginary number. I assure you that it is quite real, though irrational

Katie said...

I always thought pecan pie was hard to make too. Thanks for clearing that up. Don't worry, Dallin will get used to pi day when he can start eating the pie. Yum!

John said...

The dinner and pie look amazing. I also love Dallin's combover look. He looks like a miniature adult, especially with that tie.

Sheri E. said...

Dang it! Neil, you're right. How could I have been so careless?!? I fixed the mistake.

Unknown said...

You are so cute and creative!! I love the pie! I think I'm going to try pecan pie out...

Karen C. said...

The pie is an absolute work of art! I hope it tasted good too. Dallin's grumple face wins the prize. He makes the best faces ever!