Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cardiologist Follow-up

As many of you know, Dallin had some heart issues when he was a few months old that were resolved. The cardiologist wanted to do a follow-up with Dallin 6 months later to see how he was doing, and yesterday we went to said follow-up appointment. The nurse started by doing an EKG and Dallin did not like it at all. He had one when he was 3 weeks old and he cried then, but he was too young to squirm and try to get away. He did not like having all these little stickers on his skin that were being pulled. And he had to sit still long enough for the machine to take an accurate reading of his heart. He did not want to sit still.
And then he would stretch out his body like this:
and it would rip the stickers off and the nurse would start all over again.

Finally we got him calm enough to get a good reading. The cardiologist came in and said that the EKG looked good. She then asked me some questions about how he's been doing. I told her about his eating habits and his slow weight gain, and I showed her Dallin's growth chart. (Dallin's pediatrician was especially eager for Dallin to see the cardiologist again because she thought Dallin's weight issues might be related to his earlier heart issues.) The cardiologist listened to Dallin's heart with a stethoscope for a minute. Dallin really like her and stared at her calmly while smiling the entire exam. After listening to his heart, she said that she could still hear a heart murmur and the narrowing in his pulmonary valve. This information combined with his low weight led her to suggest a blood test. She wanted to do a chromosomal analysis for a particular genetic mutation that might explain these problems he's having. She said the lab could take about 3 weeks to come back and then she would let me know the results.

I was surprisingly calm through all of this and a little relieved. I'm glad that someone is really exploring his weight issue instead of saying that I'm just not giving him enough calories. Obviously, I'm not happy that his heart problems are still there since I thought his heart was just fine now, but I'm glad that it might be a sign to indicate what could be going wrong. I don't think it's really anything serious. He's been living fine, happy and relatively healthy these past 11 months. But if we know specifically what is going on, then we can know how to go about helping him gain weight (possibly through growth hormones) and fixing his heart. Regardless of the outcome, he's still my sweet little boy. For now, I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing.

6 comments:

John said...

Poor little guy! His picture with the arched back reminds me of the Hulk, trying to escape his confines. I hope they get to the bottom of his medical mysteries.

elise and jeff said...

Ohhh, I hope everything will be just fine. He is such a happy good boy you are so blessed to have such a sweetie!

Katie said...

I love the EKG pictures. I'm impressed at how calm you have been with everything. Hopefully we know something soon.

The Easton Family said...

We'll pray for good, conclusive results for him! I agree with you...glad to have someone diving in to solve the problem! :)

Karen C. said...

I always knew that it wasn't a matter of you not giving him enough calories. But I know its hard to listen to comments from doctors that make you feel like you're not doing a good enough job. You are a wonderful, loving and patient mom. And Dallin is the sweetest little guy in the world.

It will be nice for the doctors to find out what will actually be effective in helping him grow. Your wonderful family is always in our prayers.

Amy Meyer said...

I hope everything goes well for the little guy! I agree with you though, it is nice that they might finally be able to find the problem and fix it! It must be really frustrating that everyone thinks that you aren't feeding him enough!