Monday, October 22, 2012

Birthday Party

Connor got to open some presents from his grandparents on his birthday.
 He loved being surrounded by boxes.

He didn't quite get the hang of ripping the paper off,
though Dallin offered several times to show him how.

He got lots of cars and clothes and new shoes.
 He really loves all the cars.

A few days after his birthday we had a little party and invited some of his friends over.
 He got more fun toys to play with. This boy is set!

I made cupcakes, each one decorated with the letter "C" in sprinkles.
I cut a "C" out of wax paper and used the negative space left behind as a stencil. Mckay did all the tedious stencil work and I think they looked fabulous.

 Connor didn't really blow the candle out, but he did grab the flame several times with his fingers.

He hesitantly poked the frosting and licked his finger.
 It took a few licks before he decided he liked it and then he really dug in.
 He didn't care for the cake so much, he just wanted the frosting. His face definitely shows that.

 The decorations were simple. In fact, there was really only one decoration, but I love how it turned out. I made a timeline of pictures showing Connor's growth from birth to 12 months, with a picture for each month.
I just hung some yarn on the wall and attached pictures with clothespins.
 I traced the numbers off the computer screen and cut them by hand from construction paper. Although, many people told me I could have done this much faster with a Cricut or Silhouette machine. Call me cheap old fashioned. 

Remember that little pouch I sewed for Connor's present?
 I made him finger puppets!
These particular puppets go along with the monkeys and the alligator song. ("Five little monkeys swinging in a tree, Teasing mister alligator, 'Can't catch me!'")
(made from this tutorial)

So far, Connor has no feelings either way on the song, but he does like it when you put the puppets on his fingers. He rips them off pretty quickly, but then giggles and wants more.

It's so easy to entertain a one year old.

3 comments:

Sarah Breneman said...

So fun! I love the timeline you did, and that alligator finger puppet is adorable! I feel like I need to start going through your blog and making myself... I mean Olivia.... some toys for when she's older. And by older I mean actually born :)

Katie said...

The finger puppets are so cute! I love the timeline thing too. Very cute idea. You definitely could have used a silhouette to make that more quickly, but you did a great job cutting it by hand. If they weren't so dang expensive I would buy one for everyone because I love it.

Connor looks so cute all covered with frosting. Happy Birthday!

Mamacrapo said...

What a fun birthday for Connor! He looks like he really enjoyed the frosting on that cupcake. Good job on the decorations, Sheri.