Friday, October 8, 2010

Vent

No, not that kind of vent.

This kind:

I know I've mentioned before that we don't really like our apartment complex. I'm trying not to dwell on it too much because I don't want you to get the wrong impression. The truth is that we have a decent sized, relatively well kept, cheap apartment in a safe neighborhood, and that's all that really matters. But we HATE the management here. We've had a few scuffles with them and I feel like I always leave the leasing office feeling really angry and muttering under my breath, "I hate this place, I hate this place..."

I won't talk about all the past problems we've had with them, because that's not what the post is about and it would take too long to write it all down. The point of the post is to tell you about the most recent problem we've had with them.

I forgot to pay rent for the month of October.

I don't know how this happened. Believe me, this is not a common thing. I never very rarely forget about paying rent or a bill. Somehow, the first five days of the month came and went, and I never once thought about rent being due. I blame it on doing the same thing every single day. I don't need to know the date to do what I do. That won't make Dallin sleep any longer or eat any more. It won't change how much laundry I do. So, I knew there was a $50 late fee for late rent, but I went to the office to see if there were any other options. I know of some places that will waive the late fee if you are willing to pay the rent for the following month as well that day.

The lady was unmerciful. She was understanding ("It happens. You're a parent. Sometimes you just forget."), but unforgiving. She informed me that not only would I have to pay the $50 fee, but it would have to be in a cashiers check or money order. They would no longer be able to accept a check for October's rent. WHY?!?!?!?!? Why is that their policy? It doesn't even make sense to me! So now that I've proven myself to be an untrustworthy person by not paying rent 2 days earlier, I'm now treated as if my money is no good. My check will obviously bounce because I'm clearly trying to con them and I don't have the money. And the funny thing is, I had my checkbook in hand and could have given her a check on the spot. But because of their stupid rule, I had to go out to get a money order and couldn't bring it to them until the next day.

The thing that really gets me every time we deal with the management is that they're not really doing anything wrong. Their policies aren't unethical. They have every right to make those policies. We signed a lease with them and are bound to follow the rules. And this situation was our fault. We forgot about the rent. My problem is how they handle things. They always treat us like we don't matter, and their only job is to suck all the money that they can out of the tenants. This company does not care about us. And they know if we don't like it, that's too bad. It's not their problem. They don't have to worry about pleasing one little family when there are tons of other people happy and willing to pay them.

It's not about the money. Yeah, paying $50 that we didn't have to pay sucked. But we get $30 off rent each month because Mckay is a student. Losing $50 is not going to make us starve this month. $50 won't be the difference between buying a house or staying in this cave. It's about the principle of it. We are nothing to them but an 11-month lease. Suddenly mean old Cathy doesn't seem like such a bad manager after all.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Whoa... Sheri... um that last sentence was a doozy. I never thought the day would come that you would prefer Cathy. I'm sorry that new place sucks. You should egg them or do a flaming bag of poo or something.

Alan C said...

Good vent Sheri!

John said...

I paid my rent late once. I had to pay a $75 late fee. Fortunately I was allowed to just pay it with the next month's rent and didn't need to get a cashier's check. I was still mad though.