Friday, August 27, 2010

Haircut

I've always thought it would be cool to learn the basics of cutting hair. That way, I could cut my husband and kid's hair and it would save a lot of money. Plus, I used to cut my Barbie dolls hair all the time. How hard could it be, right?

A few months ago, Mckay got his haircut and the barber missed a big patch of hairs in the back. So Mckay had me trim them and fix up his hair, and it turned out pretty well.

Mckay's hair keeps growing and it was time once again for a haircut. Having such great success with the last little bit I cut, Mckay let me cut all of his hairs.

Before:

We bought a hair trimming kit that came with a razor and all the attachments. It even came with little hair cutting scissors. I didn't really know what I was doing, but Mckay has gotten his hair cut quite a few times before and he's watched them do it, so he felt pretty confident in directing me while I cut. I was really nervous the entire time, but it got easier as I got the hang of it.

I think I did a pretty good job.

After:
The hardest part for me was the side burns and trimming the bottom line of the hair around the neck. The rest was pretty easy because the guide on the razor made it hard to cut off too much hair. But getting the shape right at the bottom was all free hand, and I've never been good at symmetry or drawing straight lines. But it looks pretty good.

(And as you can tell from his school picture in the previous post, Mckay trimmed his beard. I don't think he would have trusted me to do that, because I probably would have shaved it all off.)

So watch out, Sarah. You're not the only one learning how to cut hair.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Haha! I'm impressed. I need to learn too, cause $10 for a Lucas hair cut is just ridiculous.

Emily said...

Good for you! I'm still too scared to cut Cameron's hair. I think you did a great job!

Karen C. said...

Looks really good. You are a brave soul to be willing to give this a try!

You missed some hairs on Mckays chin.....(smile)

Sarah Breneman said...

HAHAHAHA! I saw your new title.... And you may be able to cut now.... but I have a whole salon at MY fingertips!

Julie Knight said...

Pure talent Chevers! I'm super impressed. I'm pretty sure Christian won't let me near his head.

John said...

I'm impressed that you didn't even need to use a bowl!

Annie said...

Looks good Sheri, the more you do it, the better you will get!
It's a good thing I didn't do it though... I totally would have "slipped" and cut his goatee off... It does look a ton better trimmed. He must of heard enough of our teasing :)