Monday, January 7, 2013

Felt Advent Calendar

December was a really busy month. You probably noticed because I haven't blogged in a while. Part of my time was taken up by finishing the Felt Advent Calendar I started back in October. My plan was to finish by December 1st, and I was a week late for that deadline. But I did finish it! And I love how it turned out.

I sewed buttons on the tree for the ornaments to hang on.
 Every little stitch was handsewn: the numbers on the pockets, the pockets to the backing, each individual ornament.

And I embroidered snowflakes on the white felt background to give it a little more detail.


 The 25 ornaments:
angel, baby Jesus, stocking, star, dove 

holly, bell, drum, cup of cocoa, candy cane

wreath, snowflake, Santa, tree, ball 

bow, present, reindeer, snowman, gingerbread man

candle, mitten, peppermint candy, ice skate, Christmas light bulb

After I took these pictures, I gave it a more finished look by sewing silver gray double fold bias tape around the edge, and sewed three red felt tabs on top to hang from. (I did use a sewing machine to attach the bias tape, so I guess it's not completely hand sewn.)

I love how everything turned out. I've been wanted to make one for a few years after seeing this one on a blog and I'm glad I pushed through and completed my goal.

 

Then we left our house two weeks later to spend Christmas with my family in California. I wasn't about to spend 2 months of my life sewing this calendar and then not get to enjoy it all Christmas, so I packed it up and brought it with me. Incidentally, upon returning home and unpacking, I can't find the snowman ornament. If any of my relatives find an adorable felt snowman with an awesome blue scarf, I have a warm Dec. 11th pocket waiting for him...

2 comments:

Katie said...

You did such a good job on this. I might have to make one. I'll keep my eye out for the snowman. I hope it didn't run off with mom's pillow.

John said...

Dec. 11th pocket? I think Katie might have swiped him as a birthday souvenir... The calendar looks great!