Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pepsi Cake

Mckay's birthday was this last weekend. I like that his birthday is around Labor Day because it usually gives us a nice 3-day weekend to celebrate. His birthday was pretty low-key and I didn't really take any pictures. I did take pictures of the food though. You can usually count on me to do that. Before I tell you about the food, I need to tell you this...

Mckay loves Pepsi. It's his soda of choice. We don't buy soda very often though, so it's always a treat when he gets it. A few days before Mckay's birthday, I asked him what he wanted for his birthday cake. Mckay, thinking the question was "What do you want for your birthday?", immediately said, "Pepsi." We had a good laugh over that one and said something like, "Yeah right, Pepsi. THAT would make a weird cake." Then, wondering if such a things as a Pepsi cake existed, we did what most people would: we googled it.

It turns out that there IS a Pepsi cake recipe floating around the internet and most people were saying that it was actually very good. Intrigued by the idea, we decided that we would make a Pepsi cake for his birthday.

Here is the Chocolate Pepsi Cake, complete with chocolate Pepsi frosting.
So, the cake didn't come out of the pan very well, and it may have cracked a little. But it is actually pretty tasty despite how it looks. Chocolate and Pepsi is not as weird a combination as you might think. It's very very sugary though (go figure.)

Lest you feel bad for Mckay, thinking he got an ugly cake for his birthday, I have to redeem myself. I made two small round cakes: the one pictured above with the chocolate icing, and the one below, made with a traditional white frosting.
Now it's really a Pepsi cake.

I think it's pretty close to the real logo, don't you?
The cake is just as tasty with the white/red/blue frosting.

If you feel so inclined to make your own Chocolate Pepsi cake, here is the recipe I used.

Since the next day was Labor day, we had a lazy morning at home. I had some buttermilk in the fridge (leftover from the cake ingredients), so I used it in two of its best applications:
Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes with homemade buttermilk syrup (more affectionately called Fat Sauce).

Delicious!

And just because no post should be without a picture of Dallin...
Here he is taking a nap, on the floor, surrounded by toys: just how he likes it!

5 comments:

Katie said...

HAHA! I like that pepsi cake with the colored frosting. Good job. Dallin is such a funny little guy.

Katie said...

You did really good getting it to look like the Pepsi logo!
I wish Luke would fall asleep like that more often!

Karen C. said...

Its a good thing you included a picture of Dallin because no post should be without a picture of Dallin! I just LOVE that little guy!

Good job on the Pepsi cake. You did an excellent job of re-creating the Pepsi logo--although, I loved the ugly cake, too, because of its abundance of personality. Hooray for Mckay for having a birthday!

Alan C said...

Great job on the cake, but the buttermilk pancakes with fat sauce is what makes my mouth water.

Kathryn Pepper said...

I want some fat sauce!