Monday, October 5, 2009

General Conference

Conference Weekend was really great. I kept trying to remember what we did for last general conference 6 months ago, and it's all kind of a blur. And then I remembered that Dallin was just a few days old and fresh from the hospital for last conference, and I was getting used to a little baby and trying to walk like a normal person. Needless to say, I couldn't keep my eyes open for too much of it. So I was really excited for this weekend of conference and listening to the words of our wonderful church leaders. And it was nice to have Mckay home the whole weekend without him leaving for work, homework, or church meetings. I think it was hard for Dallin to grasp sitting at home all day and watching the TV. He got very bored. And it was a cold and rainy weekend which made us want to stay inside even more. Once again, I was glad to have another person to keep Dallin happy.

We prepared for conference by getting lots of sleep the night before.

And Dallin looked for all the good weekend sales.

I was inspired by my sister-in-law Ashley to clean the house to create a more peaceful environment for watching conference. Unfortunately, the cleanliness didn't last into Sunday. There were some really great talks, and I enjoyed the hours of hearing what our church leaders want us to hear. I feel like there were a lot of talks about love and building relationships with others. President Monson is an inspired man, as are his apostles. I wanted to write down a few things that I heard in conference that are things I want to work on to make my life better.

Conference Goals
  • Record spiritual experiences and promptings.
  • Create an environment in my home where the spirit can be felt.
  • Be more diligent and concerned at home.
  • Express love to others and show it.
  • Share testimony with others by speaking and through my actions.
  • Be more consistent in scripture study, prayer, and Family Home Evening.
  • Serve others more frequently and ask myself, "What have I done for someone today?"
Possibly one of my favorite quotes from conference was from Elder Uchtdorf.
"Try. And keep on trying until that which seems difficult becomes possible. And that which seems only possible becomes a habit."
Especially right now as I am struggling with getting Dallin to fall asleep by himself, eat solid foods, gain weight, and learning how to be a good mother and keeping up with everything I have to do, I know that I just need to keep trying. And if I keep trying it will get easier.

All in all, it was a great conference. I'm excited to get the conference edition of the Ensign and re-read the talks and study from them for the next 6 months.

4 comments:

Austin said...

that kid is so cute.

and look at him all frugal already...

Alan C said...

It was a great conference. I loved it.
Did Dallin find anything he like in the sale sheet?

Karen C. said...

Just for the record, the "getting lots of sleep the night before" picture doesn't look very restful. I think Dallin looks pretty comfy, but you would probably be happier sleeping without that cute little leech sleeping on top of you.
You made a really good list of goals. Mind if I steal your list?

a bunch of BS said...

Sheri- you are doing a great job! When Sophia was first born, she had weight gain issues so I totally feel for you and I know how frustrating and long that process can be. Keep with it- and find the silver linings. For example, sure he doesn't weight a lot but he's lighter and that makes the baby carrier easier to pick up. Or, you'll get more use out of his clothes if he takes longer to grow :) Keep with the sleep training- it will come. Keep in mind though that because he is smaller, it might not be until he gets a little bigger weight wise that he's able to be consistent about putting himself to sleep and staying asleep.
Are you coming out for John's wedding? If so, can't wait to see you!
-Bethany