Monday, October 5, 2009

Fall Craft


I got the idea for this craft from something my sister Katie did to decorate her baby room. I got wooden letters that you can get from just about any craft store. You can do this to spell out whatever you want (Fall, Merry Christmas, your baby's name). Then I got scrapbook paper in varying fall patterns. Scrapbook paper is pretty cheap, and I'm not very creative with a paintbrush, so using paper gives you a beautiful pattern ready to go.

Trace the letter onto the desired portion of paper. Then cut the letter out with scissors.

Next you need to glue the paper onto the wood letter. I'm sure there are many methods of adhesion that will work. I wanted my glue to go on flat and not create lumps under the paper, so I used a foam craft brush (as seen below) to apply wood glue.

Then place the paper on the letter and push. Make sure the paper is lined up correctly with the letter and that there aren't any air pockets trapped underneath.
And there you go! A cute decoration you can use for any holiday!

Right now my letters are standing on the kitchen table, but I think I'll put them in the window so that more people can see them.

6 comments:

The Easton Family said...

That's so funny that you did this! About two weeks ago, I bought huge pressboard letters for each of the boys rooms...K and A for the big boys, and M and P for the little boys...did the same thing with paper and mounted them to the walls! Great minds think alike, I guess!

The Easton Family said...

oh..and I did sand the edges and scuffed up the paper a little, then Mod Podge'd over the whole thing, to seal it and make it look painted on...

Karen C. said...

Cute decorations! You're such a crafty girl...

Crapos said...

I love making things. It breaks up the monotony of feeding tiny mouths.

Kathryn Pepper said...

Super cute!

Hey Sheri, I didn't even know you had a blog! You have to speak up so I know you're out there!

P.S. Dallin looks ADORABLE.

elise and jeff said...

That might have to be my next project...so cute!