Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My tiny 0 percentile boy


Dallin had his 6 month check-up today. I was anxious to see what his weight would be. He seems like he's getting so big, so I was very hopeful his weight had made a good jump.

Weight: 12 lbs 13.5 oz
Height: 25 in
Head circumference: 41.6 cm

When the nurse weighed him and charted the measurement, she looked at it and said, "This can't be right. Let's weigh him again." In my head I was thinking, "No, it's right. He really is that small." Good thing we weighed him again. It added an extra 1/2 ounce!

Of course the doctor was concerned about this and spent most of the time talking about it. I don't think the concern is so much that he's small, but that he started out right along the 25% curve and has made drastic jumps off the curve entirely since then. We discussed ways to boost his calorie intake, including a few meals of solids foods daily in addition to his regular diet. So once again, I'm focusing on trying to make my little baby bigger. At least we probably won't have to worry about childhood obesity later in his life!

In every other area, Dallin is growing and progressing very well. He's always squirming and moving and trying to get away, he just can't make it very far yet. He wants to walk so badly, but he still needs a lot of work on his balance. He rolls all over the place and can somehow rotate his body around on the floor about 90 degrees. He eats his feet and anything he can get his hands on. He can sit up by himself for about 10-20 seconds (as seen in the picture at the top), but I still have to keep my hands ready nearby. He is working on falling asleep all by himself, and we have successful days and some hard days. He has a tooth just barely breaking the surface and another one very close behind it. And his huge smile continues to amaze people and win over the hearts of many cashiers at the grocery store.

2 comments:

Alan C said...

I love his facial expression. It's like he is saying I want to know everything.

Is he old enough for ice cream and cherry cream pie? I know it put 4 pounds on me pretty quickly.

The Easton Family said...

I think he's doing great! Our babies were always on the low end of the chart, and my Pediatrician always said that as long as the dots are following the curve of the chart, you're doing good. You're dots seem to be, just at the bottom! :) And really, polycose powder is a calorie additive that we used on Porter...it's over-the-counter, but usually has to be ordered through a wall-greens pharmacy or something like that, because it's not a typical stock item. good luck...sounds like he's doing great otherwise!