Monday, May 6, 2013

Cinco de Mayo!

We were invited to a Cinco de Mayo celebration hosted by one of Mckay's volleyball league teammates. We were told to dress up, so we did.
 
Our very own little mariachi players!
 
We had so much fun putting these costumes together.
I added the black pompom fringe to Dallin's sombrero. I sewed up two quick black felt vests for both little boys and we decorated with silver ric rac ribbon and fabric paint. Mckay pinned/stapled the silver ribbon to the boys' pants. And Mckay made a card board guitar (technically a vihuela) from an internet image. Top it off with a sticker moustache and you get the cutest little mariachi!
 
 Mckay and I got in on a little moustache fun too.
The moustache may have been the best part of Mckay's costume. He's been growing his beard/moustache for several months and shaved just for this occasion. A few people asked if it was real. It sure is--- real creepy. :) (see what I did there...?)  Mckay's serape was a challenge but a work of art. Trying to make his costume inexpensive, we bought some burlap by the yard (I didn't know you could buy such things at a fabric store and that it came in colors like "Idaho Potato"), trimmed it and painted stripes with craft paint. Cheap and effective. So effective that he won "Best dressed Male." I'm so proud of my mustachioed man.
 
I've now typed "moustache" so many times that the spelling looks weird so lets move on...)
 
The boys each got a turn to hit the piƱata.
 
It took the help of several other kids, but they finally made some progress.
Connor found a donkey to ride.
 
The boys (Mckay included) went running when the candy fell out and they collected a pretty nice stash.
 
There was also a lot of great food, including homemade tamales. It was a lot of fun, but we needed a little siesta afterward.

3 comments:

Katie said...

What a fun idea! Those costumes are so cute and very creative. Good job.

Rebecca said...

Cutest little mariachi band members I've ever seen. Definitely save those costumes for Halloween!

Mamacrapo said...

The costumes are amazing. I think Mckay's serape is definitely a work of art. I love all the pictures!!!