Monday, February 20, 2012

Some "Halloween" fun


Some friends from church gave us a box of old clothes that their boys had grown out of but would fit Dallin soon. I went through the box to sort the clothes into sizes. In the box, I found a scary Halloween "scream" mask. So, I did what anyone would do with a scary mask in February: I hung it up by the front door so it would scare Mckay when he came home from school.
I was giggling with anticipation the entire day over my practical joke. This was gonna scare the pants off him! In the evening, when it was time for Mckay to get home, Dallin and I waited nearby so we could see every bit of Mckay's face as he walked through the door. We saw him coming through the window, he opened the front door, and...

Mckay was looking down, reading a book and did not even see the mask! After standing in the open doorway for a few seconds, finishing the line he was reading, he finally looked up, gave a casual glance at the mask and said, "What is this?" I said, "It was supposed to scare you." His reply: "But it's not Halloween. I wasn't expecting a mask." Exactly! That what getting scared means! You see something you weren't expecting and it startles you! In October, you're expecting scary decorations. When they suddenly appear in February, it should scare you! He just didn't get it...

2 comments:

Katie said...

Lame! I love that you were giggling all day long about it. I would too. Maybe try the shower... scream mask in the morning when you're half awake and naked? The scream mask is classic!

Karen C. said...

Katie's idea is great. Who doesn't love the classic scream mask in the shower routine? I can just hear Mckay saying, "But it's not Halloween." Pretty funny!