Friday, November 18, 2011

Felt Crayon Roll

Dallin has a friend who is having a birthday party this week. I thought it'd be fun to make a little present for him, so I made a Crayon Roll out of felt. I used this tutorial and this tutorial from Skip to My Lou, and took the info from both to make one that worked for me and the supplies I had on hand.
Presenting the Felt Crayon Roll!
Now, I'm not very good with sewing, and my sewing machine with funky, weird stitching doesn't help things, but this was a very easy project for me. I finished it in 2 hours; one hour I had a baby strapped to me, and the other I had a toddler sitting next to me getting into everything. So it's very doable.

I used felt I had leftover from making felt food. They are basic 9x12 felt sheets that you can get at the craft store for 25 cents. If you want a crayon roll like mine, you'll need two 5x12 pieces and one 6x12 piece.
Next, fold the 6x12 piece in half lengthwise and lay on top of a 5x12 piece.
Mark on the felt where you'll be sewing lines for the pockets. Starting on one side, measure in about 1 1/2 inches. The next marks will each be 1 inch apart until you get to the end. The last pocket should also be about 1 1/2 inches, which should give you enough room for a crayon and a some extra space for stitching the edge.

Sew lines down the felt to create your pockets. Make sure you back stitch really well to give the pockets durability. They'll get pulled on a lot with little hands putting crayons in and out of them.

Then line up the other 5x12 felt piece on the back and sew the edges together, leaving a 1/4" edge.
(Wow, these colors are really off. Just wait, the last shots show a more accurate felt color.)

Before you sew it all the way up, take a good size (20+ inches) ribbon, fold in half, and put the folded edge in between the 5x12 felt pieces. Make sure the ribbon goes in far enough for the sewing machine to secure it as you stitch the rest of the way.


And there you have it! Insert crayons and you're good to go.
This is perfect for when you're out and you need something occupy a kid. You might also want a small pad of paper.
This makes a great birthday gift, stocking stuffer, Christmas present, etc.

And seriously, it was so fast to make. When Mckay came home that day and I showed him the crayon roll I made, he said, "Wait, you made that...? Today...? And you already cleaned up and put the sewing machine away....?" I think he's used to projects that take me forever while the sewing machine sits out for days and scraps of fabric and thread are strewn about the house....

1 comment:

Katie said...

What a good idea. It's so cute. Good job!