Friday, October 21, 2011

Guess who has 2 kids now?

We do!
Connor David Easton was born on October 18th at 3:56 pm, weighing 7lbs 8 oz and measuring 20.5 inches long.

On Tuesday, I had an appointment scheduled with the midwife to see how I was progressing. I was dilated to 5 cm, so labor could start soon. Given my history of fast labor with Dallin (read about it here), she was concerned that once labor started, it would take too long to get to the hospital. She was almost reluctant to let me go home to pack. As a precaution, she gave me her personal cell phone number and brief instructions on delivering in the car. She was making me feel very nervous.
After a while at home, I was having regular contractions (every 5 or 6 minutes), but they were not really that strong. I was nervous about what would happen when they did get stronger though, so I called the midwife and we went over to the hospital a little before 1pm.

I felt silly walking into the ER and telling them I was in labor, when I didn't feel like I was at all. I thought about making my contractions look more dramatic so they would believe me. But they knew I was coming because the midwife called ahead and they took us right up to Labor and Delivery to get settled.
My last belly shot at 38 weeks, 5 days

They monitored my contractions and the baby's heartbeat for 20 minutes while they got all my information down and paperwork signed. I had to get a stupid IV lock on my hand "just in case" anything happened. It was annoying having it on my hand the whole time, but it was much better than being attached to an IV. Sharon, my midwife, checked me again and I was already at 7 cm. By this time contractions we definitely picking up in intensity, but still pretty manageable. They filled up the birthing tub and I got in. It was kind of nice relaxing through the contractions in the warm water. For the next hour or so, we just relaxed, watched some Law and Order on TV and chatted with Sharon.

I really liked having my freedom during labor rather than being constrained to the bed by wires and tubes. I could go to the bathroom whenever I wanted, I could walk around the room, or sit in my tub of warm water. Sharon just needed to monitor the baby's heartbeat occasionally to make sure everything was still going well, which it was.

A little after 3pm, things were really picking up and getting intense, but the warm water was helping to soften the intensity. After sometime, things were really getting intense and I was feeling some pressure. During one contraction, Sharon broke my water and that really got things going. The baby dropped pretty quickly after that and I was feeling strong pressure to push. After pushing through 2 or 3 contractions (maybe 5 minutes?) Connor was out and brought up on my chest.
Notice the green glove on my hand? That was to keep the IV dry while in the tub. He was a very calm baby, but very alert and opened his eyes after just a few minutes. Mckay cut the cord and then Connor and I got out to get dried and warmed.
We got to relax and bond for a while. Connor ate his first meal like a pro.

He got to snuggle with his Daddy.
He was weighed and bathed, and then they moved us to the Mother and Baby wing.
My mom got into town Sunday night, so she made it just in time.
She stayed at home with Dallin while we went to the hospital. Dallin took a nap and when he woke up, they came over to the hospital to see us.

Dallin has loved Connor from the very first moment.
He's so sweet to him and always wants to hold him...
...and hug him...
...and poke his eyes.

We got to order a special celebratory meal for our family after Connor was born.
We had Filet Mignon, Lobster Ravioli, Pizza (for Dallin), and enough for drinks for twice as many people, apparently.

Dallin enjoyed walking around the room eating his pizza and getting into stuff.

He would play at home with Grandma during the morning and night...
...and then would come to chill with us during the day.
Connor is a very laid back baby. He's not a big crier (except when you change his poopy diapers, of which he's had several).
He's mostly content to eat and sleep, as long as someone is holding him.

On Thursday, we got to come home.

I think I like having another little boy in our family.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Yay! He's such a cute, squishy little guy.

neil said...

Woot for October birthdays! And double Woot for laid back babies! Triple Woot for Dalbert because poking eyeballs never gets old.

Karen C. said...

I love this blog. Connor is super adorable and cuddly and Dallin is a terrific big brother. I wish they had invented birthing hot tubs when I was in the birthing business.

Alan C said...

Great blog post between the photos and the story, I almost felt like I was there. I look forward to meeting Connor and seeing everyone in person next month.

Emily said...

I'm so happy for you! You have a beautiful family!