Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

I had such a wonderful Mother's Day this year. Since Dallin is still too young to really show his appreciation to me, it felt more like "Wife's" day, because I was spoiled by my incredible husband. Most of the day revolved around food (as do a lot of my blog posts apparently). We've been enjoying trying a lot of new recipes recently and learning new cooking techniques.

For breakfast, Mckay made me Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage. And since our church starts at 9am, he really had to wake up earlier than normal to accomplish this, and I was very grateful for his sacrificed sleep.

The big dinner feast consisted of Asian marinated Flank Steak and Lemon Asparagus Risotto.
I can't even begin to tell you how delicious the food was. Mckay knows how much I love to cook, so it would not have been a very good Mother's Day present to me to kick me out of the kitchen while he cooked. Instead, we cooked dinner together. He made the flank steak, I made the risotto. It really was a very fun present to look over recipes together, choose the dinner and work together to make our meal. And seriously, this flank steak was amazing! I want to eat it every day. I don't know how I've come so far in life without ever eating flank steak. (Our recipes were based on this one and this one if you want to try them out. And I do recommend trying them out!!)
Even Dallin liked the risotto.
We couldn't even get him to stop eating long enough to smile for a picture.

Finally, for dessert we had crepes topped with a strawberry lemon reduction sauce. (The sauce was all Mckay's idea and made by him.) It was a lovely day of eating. Since baby #2 has taken up residence inside of me, I pretty much eat all day long, so it was nice to shake things up and eat something different and fancy for a day.

Dallin did his part of making me feel special and appreciated on Mother's Day by being a very well behaved boy. And he took an extra long nap which meant I got to take a nap too! He's such a good boy!

I feel very lucky to have so many wonderful Mother's around me. I'm grateful that my mother has helped me learn how to be a mother myself. I'm so glad that Mckay was raised by such an amazing mother who taught him to love and respect women... and flank steak.

And I'm glad that I get to be the mother to sweet Dallin and to my little yet-to-be-named peanut.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That flank steak does look amazing. I love flank steak! What a good husband to sacrifice sleep for you. :)

Karen C. said...

When Mckay sacrifices sleep, that really is a good present! All the delicious food you had for Mother's Day sounds wonderful. But mostly, I'm happy you have a wonderful husband and a sweet little son.