Monday, March 2, 2009

The Quilt

A few months after we found out I was pregnant, I decided that I really wanted to make a quilt for our little baby.  I wanted to get started on it right away, because I wasn't sure how long it would take me and I wanted to have it finished before the baby was born.  At this point, we didn't know yet if it was a boy or a girl.  We both kinda thought it was a boy (Eastons always have boys first) and Mckay is always right, so I went ahead and started making a blue quilt for a boy.  I figured I had a 50% chance of being right, and if it did turn out to be a girl, I could save this quilt for the next one.  

Now, I'm not a very crafty person and I've never really been that good at sewing.  During my sophomore year of college, my roommate decided that she wanted to make a Christmas quilt.  She had some experience with quilting, and so I helped her with this quilt and learned a few things along the way.  She did the whole thing by hand, so that was really the only way I knew to do mine.  Plus I didn't have a sewing machine.  I cut all the squares and sewed them together by hand.  Then I put the squares, batting, and fleece backing together and tied it with yarn.  Around this point, my family came to visit for Thanksgiving and brought a sewing machine with them for me to use.  I finished the edges of the blanket with the sewing machine, because I wanted those stitches to be a little more sturdy and secure.  I had never really sewed with a machine before, so again, I just played around a bit and kinda figured out what to do.  And now, I have a beautiful blanket for my baby (which is a boy, according to the ultrasound).


Here's a close up of the patterns and edge.


The colors are a little off on this one, but you get the idea.


With the quilt being handsewn and machine sewn by a person who isn't that good at sewing, there are a few little funky things on the quilt.  But I think it gives the quilt character.  And he won't be able to tell.  At least not for a long time!

5 comments:

Karen C. said...

I think your quilt is beautiful! I can't believe you sewed it all by hand. You're amazing.

John said...

I'm impressed Sheri. If I were a baby boy, I'd probably want a quilt just like that.

Emily said...

Great job Sheri! It looks so cute! I am happy for you!

Annie said...

I can't believe you did that by hand... I would have given up long ago!!!
We are super excited for the baby to come, and FYI I will be coming out with my mom after he arrives, yeah!!!

Amy Meyer said...

YAYAYAY!! I am so excited that you made a quilt! I feel so proud!