Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Summer Break

School is out and summer break has officially started! Summer weather is here too. We've already had several hot, humid days and I've already turned the air conditioning on, which is way sooner in the year than I did last year.

I made our summer bucket list for this year. I didn't stray from from the layout I used for last year's summer list
I left some room at the bottom in case we want to add more. There are a lot of repeat activities from last year, as well as some new ones. I added new travel goals like "See the White House." My goal for Connor is to potty train him. We'll see how that goes.... My goal for Dallin is for him to recognize all 26 letters of the alphabet (his recognition right now is spotty, with about 10 letters regularly recognized). I also want to work on a few other things like writing to get him ready to start Kindergarten in August.

During this summer, we're going to have 20 minutes of "school" time each morning. It will really just be games or activities to help learn the letters. Yesterday, we started with the first letter of the alphabet: A. 
We practiced tracing and drawing the letter 'a' and then the boys got to cover the outline of the letter with cereal pieces. Dallin was the one who gave me the idea for this when he was playing with his Apple Jacks that morning said, "Look! I made a T!" Of course, they got to eat the cereal after they made the letter. Connor started eating his cereal right away.

I tried to take a second picture to give Connor another chance to smile.
He just grabbed more apple jacks to shove in his mouth.


The local zoo is open now, so I'm sure we'll go there a lot this summer. I love having a small, free zoo only ten minutes away. It's right in the middle of town and it's really easy to just stop by for a little bit after running errands.

The recently born baby goats were out so we got to play with them

Connor is so sweet with the goats. He would walk up to the big goats and say in his high, baby voice, "I'm just petting you, I'm not going to hurt you."

Our summer is off to a good start so far!

1 comment:

Katie said...

So cute! I love the baby goats. I like your summer list. Top of my list is get this baby out! I like your idea of doing a little school time every morning. I wish I had kept all our old preschool curriculum books so I could send them to you. They had some really cute ideas. I'm sure you'll find a lot online, though.