Friday, April 1, 2011

Hearst Castle

We're back from California and getting back to life as usual. Here are the last pictures from our trip.

My mom, Dallin and I went to Hearst Castle. It's a huge mansion about 3 hours south of San Jose that was owned and built by William Randolph Hearst. The house was built up in some hills overlooking the ocean. There were a lot of steps to climb just to get up to the house.
There was a beautiful view of the ocean from the house.

This is Neptunes Pool, one of the large outdoor pools.
This house was seriously huge.
And there were 4 separate guest houses too. Although, I don't know why you would stay in a guest house when you could stay in the huge main house.

The interior of the house was very ornate and extravagant. Look at the intricate detail in the tile of the entryway floor.
He purchased many antiques ceilings to have put in his rooms. I didn't know you could buy a ceiling and have it shipped somewhere.
Dallin liked riding on Grandma's shoulders during the tour, and he gave her a nice hairstyle.
I want to have a library like this in my house someday.
And of course, I would need to have the Gregorian Chant lampshade.
The tour was really cool and I was amazed by how much money he could spend on a house.
We stopped at Jack in the Box for dinner on the way back to San Jose.
Dallin helped Grandma finish off her Mint Oreo Shake.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That house is so cool looking. What a good boy Dallin is to help mom with her shake. I want one of those so bad!

Kathryn Pepper said...

I've been there! It's seriously HUGE! Luke would have wanted to touch everything there.