Saturday, February 6, 2010

Baby Food Jar Crafts

Since Dallin has started eating solid foods, we have a lot of empty baby food jars. Granted, I'm sure we have WAY fewer jars than a family with a baby who actually enjoys non-milk food, but we have collected a sizable stash. The crafty/frugal/borderline-pack-rat in me wants to keep some of these jars because I know I can find some very clever uses for them. And little jars are so cute!

I've been searching the internet for useful ideas. Here's a great use for empty baby food jars:
I don't think I'm quiet ambitious enough to do this one.

I like this idea of using the jars for growing plants. I think pictured here is a little bit of grass. I've always wanted a little herb garden in the kitchen for cooking with.

These next two are some cute uses as candle holders.
I think it would make a great decoration for a party or wedding. (What do you think Sarah?)

You could use the jars in a garage or work area to hold screws, nails and little items.

The jars are also useful for making salad dressings, transporting small liquid items, or storing small amounts of leftovers.

I can see a lot of application in storing scrapbook embellishments, jewels, bits of punched paper, etc. If only I had a large enough scrapbook supply collection to make this useful.

So far, these are the only uses I've found for my home:
storing safety pins, little bits of ribbon for various crafty purposes, and buttons and thread.

What are some clever/crafty things you've done or heard about doing with empty baby food jars? Please share!

6 comments:

Austin said...

YESSSS for recycling/reusing!!! If for whatever reason you decide you don't want to keep them, i'm sure i can figure out something cool to do with them. Or you can put them on craigslist for free and somebody can find a use for them too.

Katie said...

I've just reused mine for putting homemade baby food in. But I'm totally going to start a garden in them, now.

Amy Meyer said...

I saw a lady who used the tops for matching games. Print off pictures, cut them so that they will fit into the lid, glue them, turn them over and you have a little matching game for Dallin!

Karen C. said...

The herb garden wins my vote. But honestly, 'pack-rat-ism' is a sickness. Methinks you will have to just throw most of them away!

Unknown said...

Herb Garden... or giving them to your nearest teacher :) Oh the classroom uses...

Kathryn Pepper said...

Yeah, I agree with that one girl...I think it's called hoarding and there's a show about it. You may have heard of it.

Just kidding. I had, like, 20 at any given moment for forever.

(But if you can't find Dallin because there's a bunch of stuff on top of him, you may want to look into that hoarding philosophy.)