Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Conner Prairie

Dallin had some doctor appointments in Indianapolis in September, which required him being out of school for the day. I figured that rather than drive all the way down and straight back (like I normally do), we'd do something fun and turn a missed school day into something educational. We met my friend Deidra and her 2 kids at Conner Prairie. It's an interactive history park. There's a small indoor museum, but most of the attractions are outside.

There were farm animals that we got to pet in the barn.
 Actors are dressed up in period clothing and they teach you about life in Indiana in the 19th century as you explore the "town."
The kids sat listening to this blacksmith talk about his job for like 10 minutes. I was amazed at their attention span.

The kids got to dress up and do chores.
 Connor in the apron/skirt is cracking me up. (It was his choice to wear it.)

I love these 3 cuties.

We got to play some games that kids played back then, like hoop rolling and walking on stilts.
Connor thought it was a hockey stick and kept trying to take slap shots.

They told me they were on their way to Florida.

 After a beautiful, warm afternoon spent running and playing, we stopped at the apple store (not the kind that sells iPods) on the prairie for some chocolate dipped pretzel sticks and apple cider slushies. 
Our kids sure are a silly bunch of apples.

We love having good friends to do fun things with; friends who talk me into buying an apple cider slushy. That extra cold, sugar rush kept me awake on the hour long drive home.

***

Also in September, Mckay's parents came to visit. I didn't take many pictures when they were here, but I did get a few cute ones of the boys when we went to Fair Oaks Farm with them to see the pigs.
Dallin getting an up close look at a newborn piglet (kept behind glass, of course).

There are veterinarian coats and stethoscopes for the kids to wear as they learn about pigs. Connor kept his on for along time.

Looking at all the little piglets.

We love going to Fair Oaks Farms.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey, we're in Florida! You should all come! Such cute boys. I can't wait to find out if Ashley is having a third boy...

Katie said...

I'm loving Connor in the skirt! Haha! He's pretty cute in the doctor coat and stethoscope too. The little baby pigs look so cute. What fun trips.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I work for Conner Prairie in public relations and search for blogs/social media related to CP, that I can share on our own social media pages. Would you mind if I posted your blog to our Facebook page?
Thanks!
Melanie Hayes
hayes@connerprairie.org

Rebecca said...

Looks like a fun outing. I want to go see new baby piglets!

Mamacrapo said...

Two fun outings. Connor in the apron/skirt was pretty cute. I love the picture with Dallin looking at the piglet. He looks so fascinated!