Thursday, October 24, 2013

Dust Jacket Art

Connor loves books. He can sit for a long time just flipping through pages on books. And he can actually understand books now. He looks at the pictures and points everything out. He even takes parts from different books and combines them. For instance, I can't tell you how many times he's asked me to sing "The Wheels on the Jubal Train" before bedtime. Yes, he just threw some words together and expected it to be a song I know. Let me tell you, it's hard coming up with things on the spot that are happening on this bullfrog's train to the tune of "Wheels on the Bus."

I've gotten off track....

Connor loves books, but he's still learning how to be gentle with them. A few months ago, he had a very unfortunate encounter with one of my favorite books.
Is it ironic that the "wild things" were destroyed by my wild thing?

I'm really glad that no damage was done to the book itself, but this dust jacket was toast. I had to mourn the destruction for a few minutes. Doesn't he know this is a Caldecott winner?!

I decided to turn the loss into a positive thing by making some new artwork for Connor's room. The paper was far too damaged to hold together again as an actual dust jacket, but I managed to glue/tape an 8x10 piece of the jacket back together and put it in a frame.

If you look really closely, you can see where the rips are.
From a few feet back, you can hardly tell.

 Now the art is displayed in Connor's room.
(Next to the changing pad that I probably haven't actually used with him in over a year. The dresser top would be so empty without it...)

Now the dust jacket serves as a warning of what kind of room you are entering.

This is "Where the Wild Things Are."

1 comment:

Katie said...

That's so cute and such a good idea! We never use our dust jackets because they just get ripped off. I might have to repurpose some of them.